Rosé and just how far America has come (watch it while you can)

Just had to share the above video (circa 1978?). I stumbled across it as I was doing some research for a piece on rosé I wrote for the Houston Press (watch it before Gallo yanks it!).

Isn’t it incredible to see how wine was marketed in this country a generation ago?

You’ve come a long way baby! (Who can name the ad campaign for this slogan?)

7 Responses to Rosé and just how far America has come (watch it while you can)

1. Sgt.Sassafras says:

nice closure – very “au courant”

question for you – said ad campaign for the slogan above – do you know the city where they held their tennis championships? hint: You know it well

2. Randy Kemner says:

I think this commercial is a lot older than 1978. My first wife was drinking this stuff in 1971 when I met her. I think you may have to go back to the 1960s for this one. What does Gallo say?

3. Mattie says:

That’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Glad you resurrected that video, now Gallo’s the one blushing.

4. John Rikkers says:

Wow. Do you think we’ll all look that stupid to our descendants?

5. AJ61 says:

The symmetry between this add and the beer adds we see today is astonishing. How far have we come?

6. Claudia A says:

Wow…the sad thing is too many people out there still think THIS is rose. We’ve come a long way indeed, baby, but we still have a ways to go.

Thanks for all the comments, yall. Isn’t that spot amazing? There used to be another one, subsequently yanked by Gallo, “I love to see you blush.” It was a flirtatious ad that implied that “blush” wine was a great way to connect with people wearing bell bottoms and Charlie’s Angels hairdos. But the “Pink like rosé, drinks like Chablis” slogan says it all!