Si parla l’italiano a San Diego

This morning, Tracie B and I arrived early for our appointment to get our marriage license in downtown San Diego and so we popped over to the newly revitalized Little Italy neighborhood of America’s Finest City for some breakfast. There was a group of men sitting — kibbitzing, you would say in Yiddish — outside Pete’s Quality Meats (above) and so we stopped and chatted with them in Italian. Their Sicilian faces were tan and furrowed from their years working on the San Diego tuna boats.

“Auguroni! figli maschi!” they called out as we said goodbye (“Best of wishes! May you have many male children!”).

It was wonderful to hear the sun-baked rhythms of their Sicilian cadence, a relic and a trace of the era in which they immigrated to the U.S. bringing theirs skills in tuna fishery (probably in the 1960s, gauging from their language).

Si parla l’italiano a San Diego…

In other news…

I think the Rueben has officially usurped the special place in my heart once reserved solely for the Jaynes Burger at Jaynes Gastropub, where a bunch of folks gathered last night to celebrate our upcoming wedding. It paired exceedingly well with the 2007 Dolcetto d’Alba by Cavallotto by the glass (one of me and Tracie B’s favorites).

My high-school friend and bff John Yelenosky and his wife Megan (both wine professionals) treated us to a bottle of 2000 Gaston Chiquet Champagne. Wow, I love that wine.

“I know how much you like Gaston Chiquet,” Megan teased me. “‘Cause I read your blog!” ;-) Sooooo gooood… and so sweet to drink in celebration! Thanks, Megan and John!

John is going to “stand up with me” at the wedding this weekend.

O, and, btw, the marriage license? CHECK! :-)

8 Responses to Si parla l’italiano a San Diego

1. adrian says:

OMG…that Reuben. Dying here. Have to get to Jayne’s, but how to choose between that burger (done rare) and the Reuben?

2. adrian says:

Bet those old Siciliani are from the Isole Egadi (Favignana/Levanzo/Marittima). I went to Favignana in May 2004, prime bluefin season, to photograph “la mattanza”, but it wasn’t happening that year.

3. TWG says:

Next week it’ll be “Tracie and me’s” favorites. Best of luck.

4. Susan Guerra says:

Auguroni! I love it! A proposito…mio marito ed io abbiamo tre maschi! So get to work kids!

5. Joe says:

Salute per il vostro matrimonio, la vostra felicità, e Reubens!

(I have no idea if that’s right…I hope “Google translate” didn’t screw me on that one)

6. Vinogirl says:

Great choice of wines…I will follow along this weekend (is Saturday the big day?), with Chenin blanc and Soave.
    And welcome back to California for the joyous event…good luck to you both.

7. Brooklynguy says:

Many congrats and all the best! We’ll be in San Diego in a few weeks and plan on re-creating everything you do via reading your blog. Except getting married – we’re already married.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts and wishes… :-)

They mean so much, to both of us.

If I could save time in a bottle of wine… See you soon!