Banfi manufactures consent

The strangest post found its way to my inbox yesterday. In it, someone who calls her/himself WineCentric reports that last year the Banfi winery “came under fire from Italian authorities who claimed that varietals other than Sangiovese were being blended into Brunello di Montalcino” and she/he claims that the winery “has emerged sagacious and smelling as sweet as the rose petal and raspberry bouquet found in their Rosa Regale sparkler… Lab tests eventually cleared Banfi of any impropriety.”

Sagacious? Smelling sweet as rose petal?

Reports by leading Italian news outlets don’t jive with such claims. According to L’Espresso, for example, wineries like Banfi had to declassify considerable amounts of Brunello in order for their products to be allowed back on the market.

I wrote to Winecentric but received no response.

I’m sorry, Banfi: you still stink… Me? I’m just trying to keep the world safe for Italian wine.

Fight the power…

15 Responses to Banfi manufactures consent

1. Vino NYC says:

“Nineteen eighty-NINE!” It was a very good year. Remember this song in “Do The Right Thing”?

2. J:yule says:

Knowing what were knowing…word!!!!

3. Joseph says:

Don’t Believe the Hype could have worked here as well :)

4. joe g says:

looks like everything L’Espresso claims has no facts to back it up. results were inconclusive. in the end, nobody cares. we just want great wine. if it smells and tastes great that is all that matters.

5. Dirty says:

Ahhhhh YEAH! PE 1989!

If you need some of the baseheads….

6. Area 52 says:

What was so strange about that post? Just appears to be a blog written by a wine enthusiast who happens to enjoy that particular Banfi bottling. Maybe I’m missing something…or maybe you just have an axe to grind with Banfi. Whatever the case, lighten up Signore Parzen.

7. AJ says:

I’ve never tried any Brunello di Montalcino made by Banfi, but I have had many of their other offerings and most have been underperformers. I don’t think it’s too much to ask producers to offer wines that are true to type and speak clearly of their origin. Difficult to do if your altering the recipe. I FIGHT the POWER by developing and trusting my own palate. Nobody respects a cheater. I’m with you Jeremy; Banfi needs to come correct!

8. tracie b says:

i guess if one has an axe to grind, one is certainly welcome to do so on one’s own blog.

–loretta

9. Strappo says:

JP, I quite agree with the lovely & talented Tracie B — it’s your blog and you’ll grind if you want to.

I don’t know Winecentric but…the review in question seems a bit a) undiscriminating or 2) shilling.

BTW, thanks for keeping me on your blogroll.

10. adrian says:

Total shill for Banfi…bet the IP address for the Winecentric blogger/bot could be traced to Banfi or someone associated with Banfi. Tad paranoid moi, no?

11. LF Fever says:

so this seems to be blown way out of proportion. i check out winecentric’s blog every few weeks. it’s a very light entertaining blog that reviews different wines every week or so. how is it that people jump to the conclusion that she/he has to be associated with banfi just because of one innocuous post?! the blog has been in existence for several years. hmmmm, i wonder if winecentric was recently hired by banfi to spread the word about their wonderful wines. that must be it. get a grip people, and lighten up with the accusations.

ps – please don’t investigate my IP address, i am also on the banfi payroll!

12. The Squirrels might have to rescind Strappo’s award for best shameless self promotion and give it to WC.

13. I tasted the Banfi Brunello di Montalcino 2004 at Vino 09 in NYC. In my opinion is the best Brunello that they have made.It tasted like a classical, traditional Brunello.

14. Tom Maresca says:

I substantially agree with Charles. The examples I’ve tasted of the ’04 Brunellos — not all of them, by a large margin — seem to me a return to true form, and the Banfi bottle is an excellent representative of the breed.

15. another post here….looks like it was just a press release party, dude. dont get nuts…